Johanna: The Improviser

Never quite follows the recipe. Doesn't really measure. Tastes with her fingers. Somehow, it always works.

Goals

Posted: February 8, 2010 | Author: Johanna | Filed under: Johanna | 9 Comments »

I am doing things to better myself this year. Things that I’m actually, for once, following through on. For example, today, after I type up this post, I am going to take off my chipping red nail polish. I only painted my nails on Saturday night, and 2009 Johanna would have left the chipped nail polish on for at least a week, but because I read an article in a magazine about how pulled-together women never have chipped polish, dammit, I will take it off. Nevermind the fact that when one has fine motor skills like I do, painting one’s nails takes a good 15 minutes, nevermind the fact that truly, I am still hell and gone from “pulled together”. It’s a start, right?

Another thing that put-together women do is see their friends regularly. They have lunch dates. They have schedules. They see their friends, their hairdressers, their manicurists and doctors and moms and whoever regularly. And so along with removing my nail polish when I start resembling a hot mess, I have made a concerted effort this year to try and find a way to see my friends more regularly. The 3 New York Area Pretty girls got together on Sunday after I ran really fast in a race. I provided homemade bagels, to much better results than the last time I did so. And Rita brought homemade gravalax, which made me weak in the knees, and Bakezilla provided the mimosa makings, and we had a fantastic time getting ridiculous, spilling some orange juice, eating a ton of food, and hanging out. I like seeing my friends more.

And that includes you, out there. I apologize for slacking off for the past week. I’ve had a somewhat difficult week, a strange gap between grocery orders and meal plans, where dinner isn’t so much dinner as it is luck. But there have been some bright points.

I’m making better use of leftovers these days. I’m throwing NOTHING away. That pork shoulder was cooked in the slow cooker with a dry rub, some of it was turned into pulled pork bbq sandwiches, some of it was turned into pork tacos, and the rest was cooked with tomatoes and cracked garlic cloves, simmered for ages, to get a beautiful, wonderful rich smushy sauce that was top notch over cheesy polenta. And now, we’re back on track, and I will not leave you behind again.

Y’see, I’m getting pulled together. It’s a goal. But it’ll still be improvised, and in the end, my nail polish will still chip sometimes. But I will be pulled together enough to see my friends (including you guys) a lot more often.

That’s the goal.

And next month, we’ll have the Triple Threat around for our next installment of Pretty Girls Get Ridiculous!!

9 Comments on “Goals”

1. 1 Jesse said at 10:32 pm on February 8, 2010:

You act like Pretty Girls Get Ridiculous is, like, an non-normal state of affairs.

2. 2 leah said at 10:05 am on February 9, 2010:

those bagles look BOMB! did you use the same recipe as last time? just better results? i’m scared….but wanna try!

3. 3 adele said at 11:10 am on February 9, 2010:

I could swear I read an article last year that said chipped nail polish was fashionable. But then, I only ever wear black nail polish, and that almost needs to be chipped for the full effect.

The pork over polenta sounds wonderful. :)

4. 4 Rita said at 12:03 pm on February 9, 2010:

Leah – the bagels were definitely the bomb!

5. 5 Alyssa said at 1:58 pm on February 9, 2010:

And it can not be expressed how excited the Triple Threat is to come out there in a few weeks!!

6. 6 Leanne said at 7:58 pm on February 9, 2010:

Pretty girls need to convince Triple Threat to move closer…not that I’m being pushy or anything…or selfish…

7. 7 Mom J said at 9:13 pm on February 9, 2010:

I’m with you Leanne! Triple Threat needs to get back to the northeast where she belongs!! And also so we can enjoy her company once in a while….. not to mention her cooking!!!!

8. 8 Mom J said at 11:24 pm on February 10, 2010:

By the way, I always thought my daughter WAS pretty pulled together!!! Keep up the good work my Jo-po!

9. 9 Joh said at 12:42 pm on February 11, 2010:

I’m not going to lie…. the chipped red nail polish is still there.
    Also, I had one of the bagels that I froze the other day — heated in a 350 oven for about 10 minutes and topped wtih butter and green pepper jelly. Swoon. So, make them and freeze the extras. They’re GREAT!
    But use bread-machine or rapid-rise yeast. It works the best. :)